Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Be Set Free!

By Dr. Aaron Morland
When we talk about health most people think about their physical health yet we are a three part body; body, mind and soul. Many people do not realize that one area can affect another area. A physical problem can interfere with our spiritual health and a spiritual issue can cause a physical problem. A great example of this is the following story

"Lying in bed, I just wanted to die. I did not want to kill myself but I just wanted to be in heaven. I wanted the pain to go away. I rarely ever missed a day of work but no way was I going to work today. What was going on? Why did I feel this way? How did I get to this place in my life? How am I going to get through this? I had taken such great care of myself, exercised, ate the right things, avoided the wrong things yet I was sick. Not physically but emotionally and spiritually. The worst part of it was that I had no idea what I was going to do but God knew and He set me free!

All my life I have pretty much accomplished everything I set my mind to. Not just accomplishing it but doing very well at it. From school to work I succeeded. In 2004 I set out to accomplish and succeed at another venture. I opened a business and was ready! The business started off very successfully. It was busy and things seemed to be falling in place. On the outside things looked very successful but on the inside I was struggling but I had no idea why.

As the months went by the business seemed to be going well still but inside I was struggling more and more. Soon the business started to be affected. This caused the struggle within to increase significantly. I started doubting what I was doing. I was upset with God and I didn't know where to turn. I felt that I had taken a leap of faith following what I thought God had planned for me and that things should just be falling in place but they weren't. Was God playing some kind of cruel joke on me? To take me out of a good job that paid well and make me go through so much, years of schooling, only to watch me fail. I did not know what to do. I wanted to go back to the way things were or better yet, just take me now God. I just wanted to be in heaven and no longer have to go through this struggle.

Throughout this time, I was praying more than ever. I was begging God to take this away from me. My wife was also praying for me and trying to help. I went to my church for prayer. As we were doing this, things seemed to be getting worse! I could not wait until Friday came to be done work. When Sundays came I was very anxious about Monday and it was getting harder and harder to go to work. It made no sense. I was so passionate about what I did, I loved the field I was in and yet I was struggling to go to work. I was depressed, anxious, and afraid and I had no where to go. Until one day I decided to not go to work. That day I tried to listen to motivational CDs, read things to get me back on track, and try to get "fired" up for my work. None of it helped.

I had to do something, my wife had suggested that I see a doctor and even think about getting medication for this. Even if it was only temporary. She was worried about me. I did not feel that was the way God wanted me to go. But she was right I did need to see someone. I was involved in a networking group that had a psychotherapist who was also a life coach but she would also mention that she did healing through prayer. I did not know what that meant but it sounded like a pretty good combination for what I was dealing with. It wasn't easy to give up my pride and do this though. To go to a therapist wasn't exactly a "manly" thing to do. After all we are suppose to just walk it off and pain is just weakness leaving the body.

I had never been to a therapist before so I did not know what to expect. After going to see her, I can say that what she did is probably not what most therapists would do. Rather than spending a lot of time asking me about my past and how things in my past made me feel, she started by finding out what I was dealing with right now and looking at what lies I was believing from my past that are affecting me right now. When we found out what the lies were, then we asked for God to speak His truth to me. This was not at all what I expected. I saw her for a few sessions which were very healing, enough for me to get back to work and start enjoying it again.

What was most amazing is the healing I had with my dad. I had not spoken to him for many years because of things from the past. I had told myself I had forgiven him but yet I had no plans of ever speaking to him again. When I would think of things from the past that he had done, I would get angry and my heart would race. After going through these sessions with the therapist, I decided to call him and talk. It was amazing! As soon as I did, I felt a change in me. I felt healed of so many things. The crazy thing was not only was I healed of things currently, I was healed of past hurts. Things that I used to think of that caused me to get angry no longer did. It was such a burden lifted off of me. I cannot describe I good it felt. I later came to find out that what the therapist did was called "Theophostic Prayer."

I learned a lot going through that time. I learned about God pruning us and sanctification. I learned about lies that we believe and God's truths. I learned about trapped emotions and how to release them. But most of all I learned how to be set free that day and I am forever grateful!"
From my experience, many people may be dealing with similar problems yet do not know what to do. It can be very difficult. The most difficult thing for me about the story you just read is that it is my story. I got the help that I needed though. I continue to work on my health, but now I make sure I am taking care of all three parts of my body. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment